Monday, June 14, 2010

West Coast cozy!

Hey Internet, I'm in Vancouver chasing a toddler around. Right now he's piling up every pillow in the house on the couch, along with a loaf of bread, two sticks (one of which is his scepter with which he commands the wild rumpus to start) and a puzzle.

Me: Bootie, can you eat some more frenchie toastie?
Bootie: I'm busy, Such. I'm WORKING.

Other wonderful things about here:
-Clean, fresh, air. I keep taking deep grateful breaths. Between cigarettes.
-Vancouver Specials! I ogle them. A friend told me he saw some in Italy... origin myth poem is growing.
-WILD RUMUPS START! I've been out and about every day with my nephew blowing bubbles and being pirates and generally running amok. And then passing out with him at 6 PM.

Anyhoo, I'm missing out on Pivot this week but you don't have to, Toronto. Angela "Awesome" Hibbs is hosting.


June 16: Sue Sinclair, Nick Thran and Thom Vernon

Sue Sinclair has published four books of poems, the latest of which is Breaker from Brick Books. Her work has been nominated for awards including the Gerald Lampert & Pat Lowther awards and the Atlantic Poetry Prize. Sue is currently studying philosophy at the University of Toronto.

Nick Thran is the author of one collection of poems, Every Inadequate Name (Insomniac, 2006). A second collection, Earworm, will appear in 2011 with Nightwood Editions. He currently lives in Brooklyn, NY.

Thom Vernon’s novel The Drifts (Coach House Books/Northwestern UP, 2010) was released in April. He will be the July 2010 Writer in Residence at Open Book Toronto. Become a fan at facebook/thedrifts or follow at Twitter/thomvernon.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010
8 p.m. at the Press Club
850 Dundas Street West
Hosted by Angela Hibbs
PWYC ($5 suggested)


Real-time Bootie (tapping me on head with stick/scepter): Oh no! It's dark. It's DARK! It's not sunshiney. This is garbage! This is not garbage. I need ruin it. I'm ah... Ungh... My thing! My summer stick! This one not good. Sorry Sachi! You say that! Sorry! You say dat. Unghrgh. You not bad guy.